Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What Not to Wear

I went to the mall today. It's been a while since I've darkened the automatic doors of Madison Square Mall. I wasn't really looking for anything specific, which is usually when I find stuff. Anyway, for the most part I realized that I am really getting old. For instance, T-shirts with clever (or wanna be clever, in my opinion) sayings on them. I saw some shirts today with things written on them that I would NEVER want to advertise. There were a couple of teenaged boys looking at the display of shirts in this one store that I've never been in before (and won't go in again) and after realizing what most of the shirts had written on them, I couldn't help but wonder if they were embarrassed by my presence - I know I was. Of course they probably weren't. After leaving this particular place, I felt like I needed to go home and shower, or at the very least use hand sanitizer up to my eyeballs! What ever happened to decent humor? Why is it that now people are just looking for the shock factor or is it that no one's even shocked by this junk anymore? That's probably it, unfortunately. On a different retail rant - why is it that retailers equate petite with old? Hello! I'm 5'2" - NOT 90 yrs old! My apparel options are either shirts with immodest necklines, rude and obnoxious slurs from the Jr. Dep't OR pastel shirts with embroided flamingos on them with elastic waisted nylon pants in the petite dep't. COME ON!

2 comments:

Tony M said...

I think it's that no one's shocked anymore, so they have to go beyond what we "old people" would consider shocking. But I agree - what happened to good, clean humor? That's why I'm working on my book (well, sort of; I'm collecting material, but I haven't written any of it in the "book" in a while). Anyway, back to the modern t-shirt slogans - I think it's the old adjustment thing (I can't think of the word I want; must be old age setting in) : you get used to a certain level, so in order to get your "high" or "fix" or "result" you have to up the dosage (it happens in both good and bad things; e.g., if you routinely use a medicine for allergies, after a while your body may adjust and it won't be as effective, so you either have to use more or something different or take a break from it for a while in order for it to be effective again). Or something like that.

Anonymous said...

I sooo feel your petite pain; on a good day I'm 5'1. I have noticed the old lady clothing.

You'll be happy to know that next spring we are having a 'fashion show' at church. We have a speaker coming in and she will teach us how to shop for our body type (much like What Not to Wear). She is a funny Christian lady with a powerful message. She also will do an event called "Modest is Hottest" for the younger gals (starting in 5th grade). Oooh, I can't wait!!

-tiffany