Thursday, May 1, 2008

Now... rinse



I tremble as I write this post. It's about the d-d-d-d-dentist! I hate, loathe, and despise with a purple passion going to the dentist. Well, yesterday was my six month cleaning appointment. That really shouldn't be a big deal, I know. HOWEVER - the last time I went to the dentist I had a cavity filled (actually refilled). The dentist couldn't get the dumb thing numb (hey, that rhymed) even after FIVE injections! Did that stop her from drilling? NO! She went ahead anyway, and I felt it all! So, needless to say, I was quite traumatized after that visit. To make matters worse, the tooth she worked on wasn't even bothering me, she just felt that it needed to be "cleaned out" and refilled. But ever since then the tooth HAS bothered me! Every now and then when I bite down or when something really cold hits it, I get that wonderful sharp, electrical sensation run through my jaw. So, the day before my dental visit, I start getting really upset and stressed out. I don't want to have that ice-cold water they use to come anywhere near this tooth, nor do I want that ice-pic device of theirs to touch it. AND I don't want the dentist telling me something like, "Well, I guess we need to go back in there and try again". NO WAY am I letting her come near me with another needle! So what did I do? I cried like a baby. YEP - just ask Dwight. The night before I cried and cried, "I don't want to go to the dentist!". I go anyway. I tried to suck it up and just go. After all, I have to be an example to my kids, right? So, we go. When I get there I'm called back first. Great! I tell the hygienist that I want to talk to the dentist before we do anything. No problem. The dentist comes in to talk to me, and what happens? I cry like a baby again! Only this time in front of the dentist and hygienist! Instead of making me feel better, the dentist proceeds to tell me that the nerve in my tooth is dying out and I will eventually need a root canal. "Gee, thanks, doc." But for right now (or yesterday, actually) I'm just gonna go with the x-rays and let the dentist just 'look' at my teeth. I decided to wait on the cleaning, hoping that another six months will help my anxiety. We'll see.

1 comment:

Tony M said...

The title reminds me of the "dentist song" in "Little Shop of Horrors" (sung by Steve Martin).