Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Garden is Growing

Well, thankfully I'm starting to see a little fruit (vegetables, actually) from the labor I've put into the garden already. I haven't actually seen the veggies yet, just the green sprouts coming up, but I know that in a little while there will be yummy lettuce, squash, carrots, corn, beans, tomatoes, zucchini and onions. I've still yet to plant some herbs, cucumbers, watermelon and I can't remember what else, but there's time for those things. I also planted some French Geraniums - they're supposed to distract the bugs away from the tomatoe plants. We'll see if that works.
I must say I knew this gardening thing would be hard work, but my goodness! My shoulders and back ache so badly! I rubbed a blister on my finger, in spite of wearing gloves. *sniff, sniff* don't you feel sorry for me? ;o) I will post some pics later. I want to get more of the grass and "dirty dirt" as I like to call it out of the garden. Of course, if I showed you what it looks like now you might appreciate more fully all of the hard work I've put into it. Hmmm... that's a thought.
While I was out there laboring yesterday, I was trying to think of some spiritual implications of gardening. The closest thing that I have gotten so far is that some of the smallest blades of grass have the biggest, strongest roots. So, I was thinking I could compare that to the "smallest" sins in our lives and how they are sometimes the hardest to let go of. Sounded pretty spiritually deep to me at the time. But then I thought about my readers who might not be Christian and how they might think, "Why do Chrisitans always have to find 'meaning' in everything little thing?" Good question, thanks for asking. I guess it's because LIFE has meaning, so why not find examples in every day living? My devotional this morning (I'm still in Ecclesiastes, BTW) reminded me that we should find contentment in the simple things, do good every day with what God has given to us. So right now my every day is gardening. Life is also hard work, like gardening. We can't let the weeds come in and take over, or else we will have to work even harder to get back to where we need to be.
On a nother note, completely different, actually. While I'm typing this blog I'm listening to songs I've chosen and added to my "playlist". It's very relaxing listening to music I enjoy (Elvis is singing to me right now). I wanted to add my playlist to this blog, but I didn't know if it would be a distraction to my readers, so I haven't added it yet, but I still might. You could always pause it so that you don't hear it. OK this has nothing to do with anything, sorry.
I will go for now. I will let you know that my future post MIGHT be about my dentist visit yesterday - quite traumatic!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering how your garden was coming along. Thanks for the update. I would love to see pictures along the way as your little sprouts grow and bloom. Don't you get joy out of seeing young Christians (especially our own children) grow and bloom in the Lord. Deanna

Christy said...

Yes, I do. I just told Haley yesterday that I think I'm starting to enjoy the gardening thing. But after today I'm not so sure. My body hurts from top to bottom! Oh, and today Dawson stepped on the wrong side of the rack and whacked himself in the face! We spent the afternoon in the ER *sigh*. All is well, though.

Tony M said...

Sorry for your ER trip. You should try growing puppies instead of the more traditional garden things. They're much easier... they pretty much take care of themselves.

Did you hear about the farmer who went and bought two dozen baby chicks? Then a week later went and bought two dozen more? Then a week later went and bought two dozen more? The guy selling him the chicks asked why he kept coming and buying more, to which the farmer replied, "I don't know what the problem is, whether I'm planting them too deep, or too shallow, or not enough water, or too much water, or what?"

Tony M said...

Oh, yeah, anybody want a puppy? :)

Dean Lusk said...

I've meant to comment for several days to let you know how much I'm enjoying your posts lately (not that I haven't enjoyed earlier ones). They've been very pointed, particularly the ones about who's listening to us.

I'm shocked that you didn't use a "Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?" reference, so please consider this to be a question about your garden. :)

Not that you're contrary or anything... Contrariwise!