Monday, May 12, 2008

"Gimme a Break...


...I sure deserve it. It's time I made it to the t-ah-ah-ah-ahp!" Now you've got that TV theme song in your head, don't cha? LOL! I'm not looking for a promotion or for recognition, though. On the contrary, I'm looking for a retreat of sorts. I would very much like to get away for a few days, with just me, myself and I. Why? Well, just 'cause! I need a little of nothing every now and then. When I was seeing a counselor back in my psycho days, the only thing I consider as good advice was the reading of the book, The Introvert Advantage, How to Thrive in an Extrovert World, by Marti Olsen Laney, Psy.D. Before I read this book I didn't realize that there were other people like me. I thought I was just weird, as you probably still do. Well, there are other people like me, so be afraid - be very afraid! Yes, I am an "introvert". Never heard of that term before therapy. It's not something that I'm proud of or even really want to admit, but that's what, or how, I am. As Popeye said, "I am what I am". In the book, the author is pointing out that extroverted people do not understand introverted people and are often suspicious of them because we come across as inconsistent, "... introverts can be even more confusing; as their energy ebbs and flows, they may not appear consistent. One day their batteries may be well charged and they're chatty and outgoing. Another day they are draggin' their wagon and can barely talk at all. This can confuse and confound the people who know them". Another quote from the book says, "I enjoy social gatherings - I do - as long as I know I'm leaving soon. If I know that pretty soon I can slip into my PJs and enjoy the peace and quite of my bedroom, I can manage the uncomfortable feelings and energy expenditure that social gatherings entail. Socializing in groups requires huge amounts of energy. First of all, it takes energy to gear up to go out, because introverts tend to think ahead and imagine what it will be like for them later: They will end up feeling tired, uncomfortable, or anxious. Second, most introverted people need to ease into social situations gradually in order to get acclimated to the stimluation. Noise, colors, music, new faces, familiar faces, eating, drinking, smells - everything - can cause brain overload. Finally, just physically being around a lot of people, friend or foe, drains energy from introverts." So you see, I need a break every now and then. But as I mentioned in a previous blog, solitude can be dangerous for me. For you extroverted people out there who have no clue what any of this about, I apologize (which is another trait of an introvert - LOL!). For those of you who are wondering if you are also an introvert, I encourage you to read the book mentioned above. I've said time and time again, sometimes it's good to know you're not alone regarding your feelings, and this is another case where I find that's true.

No comments: