Friday, May 2, 2008

best garden analogy so far



While digging in the garden today it hit me (no really, a clump of dirt hit me in the head. LOL! not really, I just thought that would be funny). Anyway, seriously, I started out using the pitch fork thingie to loosen up the dirt and stuff. You know I told you I was searching for spiritual applications, but it wasn't until I got down in the nitty gritty of tossing the undesirables into the bucket that I realized how spiritually enlightening this gardening thing can be. I mean, I could go throughout the entire garden just raking and stirring up the dirt and making it look better superficially, but it's not until I get down on my hands and knees and really start going through the muck to find the more deeply rooted weeds can I really get my garden ready to be productive. Underneath all that dry, dead looking "dirty dirt" (image on left) is dark, rich, moist soil just waiting to be used (image on right) - like we are once we toss out the sin in our lives. But wait, there's more. I'm still on my hands and knees and getting my hands all dirty, tossing the junk into the bucket when it hits me again - God wants us to bring Him our dirt! You see, I've been taking the fully loaded buckets of the "dirty dirt" and tossing it out by the fence line far away from my garden. God wants us to bring our buckets of dirt and place them at His alter so that He can toss them away as far as the east is from the west! AWESOME! Now I know why my friend, Saren Kingsley (name changed to protect the innocent), is so much more spiritual than I. She's been in the dirt much longer than I have. LOL!
OK, now for some not so spiritual things I learned while gardening:
  • ants in the pants is no laughing matter

  • birds are no longer sweet, beautiful creatures - they are stealers of the zucchini seeds and they must die! (I'm not really gonna kill them)
  • the wind can burn just as much as the sun (both on the same day is not fun - LOL rhyming again)
  • there is no such thing as a "good kind of sore"
  • my blisters look like those little wax candies with the red kool-aid inside
  • I think I'm starting to actually like this gardening thing - nah!






2 comments:

Tony M said...

You can borrow my BB/pellet gun if you want to take care of those pesky birdies... :)

Christy said...

We have a pellet rifle, but I'm trying to just use scare tactics for right now.