Sunday, April 13, 2008

Eat this, NO! Eat that!


We went camping over the weekend. It was a nice getaway even though it was colder than we would've liked. Our new camper was very comfortable and we can't wait to get away again.

Before we left for our weekend, I went shopping for a few essentials, you know, chocolate, sodas and chips! I also picked up a couple of books because I didn't have anything new to read. I bought 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper. I read several chapters, but for some reason it didn't really keep my attention. I'll get back to it, though, I don't like leaving a book unfinished. Except for this next one that I bought: The Hallelujah Diet by George Malkmus. This book actually captivated me, so why am I not finishing it? Well, after reading almost the entire book, I was convinced that my family and I needed to completely change our eating habits. The only thing was, I was depressed about it! I knew that if I even mentioned to my husband, Dwight, what this book recommended for good health, which is eating only RAW fruits and vegetables, he would absolutely refuse and I would be frustrated. The information in this book seemed plausible. The author used Gen 1:29 as the basis for his beliefs and practices. I was almost convinced - but there were a couple of nagging thoughts that were in my mind. One was if God intended for humans to eat only raw fruits and veggies and that's all, then why would Jesus not only eat fish Himself, but miraculously provide fish AND bread for thousands of hungry people (Mark 8:1-10)? Why wouldn't He turn the rocks into carrots and the grass into broccoli? Also, I recalled verses in the same chapter of Mark, where Jesus declares ALL foods clean! So, if meat, eggs, bread, milk, salt and sugar are not intended for human consumption, then why would Jesus do such a thing? Well, thankfully I didn't just take George Malkmus' word for it. I did further research and read several passages in the Bible where God's people ate much more than fruits and veggies. After I read these verses in both Old and New testaments, I felt such relief! God is good! Also, the following verse REALLY opened my eyes and after reading it I threw away George's book!
1 Timothy 4:1-6:
"Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine which you have carefully followed."
Another thing I want to add is that God is not the author of confusion, so when we take the time to search the Scriptures, even what we may or may not eat will be crystal clear to us.
Well, I have 90 Minutes in Heaven to finish reading now. Be sure that whatever I read from Don Piper will be checked with the Word of God, too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Christy! Welcome back. Glad you had some nice family time. I missed the kdis during your choir time.

Kirk did the Daniel diet for 21 days - it's a meat-free plan. What I try to *limit* is food made with preservatives and corn syrup. (But I can't give up my Cheetos.) Cooking from scratch helps. I don't buy the frozen meal-things. I don't go to the extreme of home-made bread (I can't get bread to rise), but some do and it's tasty and they say very healthy. Eating out a lot is a diet-killer! There are tons of things we could do better, too. Off to find a bag of Cheetos...

-tiffany