Sunday, February 3, 2008

Too Much Information

The kids and I were watching a special on National Geographic tonight called "Incredible Human Machine". Now NG is one of my favorite channels to watch even though I have to repeatedly remind my children that we did not evolve. However, tonight's program gave me a bit more information than I really cared to know. Do you remember from 7th grade biology the gross films we had to endure of the digestive system? (I personally didn't want to ever eat again after my biology teacher said that "digestion begins in the mouth" - EWW!) Well, this is basically what was in the program only now instead of an x-ray of a person eating, we are treated with an actual camera placed somehow inside a mouth and we get to watch someone chew their food from the inside. Not only that but the camera (evidently the size of a pill) is swallowed by this person and we get to travel down the esophagus, into the stomach, and then the small intestine. WOO HOO! What a lovely experience indeed! Thankfully we were spared the large intestine and the excretion of said camera. However, Haley did comically say that when the person was relieved of the camera that someone must have reminded that person "DON'T FLUSH!". Thankfully the program wasn't only about digestion, however some of the scenes of brain surgery were too intense for us so I changed the channel for a few minutes.

1 comment:

Tony M said...

These are the kinds of programs we miss by not having cable (or satellite or Dish). Ones I would possibly find interesting. Oh well, at least American Gladiators comes on tonight...