Friday, February 29, 2008

It may be pretty, but it's still trash.

Well, I was thinking that I haven't written a "serious" post in a while. At least I don't think I have. Tony just might prove me wrong again, so we'll see. Anyway, I thought I would try to be like my friend, Dean, and relate the every day stuff to my spiritual life. So why not use the compost pile I shared with you yesterday. (Tony, it's really difficult for me not to use "w/" instead of "with", but I'm thinking of you and taking your feelings into consideration here). I mentioned in my little blog about the compost pile picture that it looked pretty, even though it was still trash. Well, this morning it hit - sometimes sin looks pretty, but it's still... you guessed it... trash! Hmmm, I'll let that deep passage of thought sink in.

This kinda of reminds me of one of my not-heard-very-often-but-I-really-like-it songs...
"Drag me in the shallow water, before I get too deep". That's really all I remember of the song. I can't remember the artist, either, sorry.

To reiterate my blog: pretty compost - still trash; "pretty sin" - still trash!
Ooooo... here's more that just came to me! While the compost might look pretty at first and it is supposedly good for the garden... sin looks pretty at first (OK I know I already said that, but hold on) and it MIGHT seem good for you... it still ends up rotting and stinking and crawling with worms - JUST LIKE... yep! You're with me... the compost. WOW! I have got to stop!

On a totally different note I had a dream about Eddie Money last night. Weird, huh?

7 comments:

Scott Booker said...

The song would be by Edie Brickell....one of favs from the good ol days.

And to comment on this post...I guess I have to ask? Is sin really pretty?? I think sin can be inticing....but never really pretty. Just a thought.

Christy said...

Well, I was trying to say that sometimes pretty things can be sinful. Like new cars, bigger houses - things that cause us to covet. Then there's the pretty people who can cause us to lust. Does it make more sense now? Probably not, I don't explain things very well.

Dean Lusk said...

I'd say sin is definitely pretty most of the time. It's attractive -- otherwise there really wouldn't be much draw to actually do a lot of the sin we're tempted with. C. S. Lewis says this kind of thing so much more eloquently than I do.

I think it's "Choke me in the shallow water before I get too deep," by the way.

Tony M said...

Click me! Click me!

Enjoy... and I agree with Dean (saw one site that said "chuck" but most said "choke" - and I think I always thought it was "shove" - reminds me how often I don't have a clue what the real lyrics are!).

Once upon a time, while teaching a 4th grade boys SS class, I gave an illustration about sin. I had a brown paper bag (lunch-sack type), with a "custom" sour punch straw in it - I'd cut the thing in half, and put it back together with a different color on each end, and (since there are three colors) I also cut one of the straws length-wise and one end actually had two different colors depending on which side is up. I took the bag to the SS class, pulled out "one" of the colors of sour punch straws, and asked who liked that color. Then I put it back in and "pulled out another color" (that is, I turned it over in my hand, pretending to be searching for the next color), and asked who liked that one. Then I did it again, "pulling out" the third color. When I'd done that third one, I asked who wanted the rest of my bag of sour punch straws, keeping the one I had in my hand. Of course, everyone wanted it, but the bag was empty. I told them that's what sin is like - awfully "pretty" (as you said) or tempting/enticing, promising a lot, but when you get it, there's nothing there. On the other hand, I had a transparent bag (ziploc) full of sour punch straws & other goodies, and that was like God's promises and blessings - you can see it, and you know it's good. You don't have to guess, and it's not going to disappear on you (like the "sour punch straws of sin" did).

That was my own little magic trick, but a fairly decent (my opinion) explanation of sin to a fourth-grade crowd.

Christy said...

Thanks, guys! I hate when I get the lyrics wrong. I guess I'll never be a contestant on that dumb show I don't even watch - "Don't Forget the Lyrics"!

Anyway, good illustration on the sin issue, Tony.

Tony M said...

We occasionally watch it... the girl on the other night, though, drove me crazy (see my blog for more). Not a regular watcher, though, just an "if it's on" type of thing (we only have over-the-air broadcasting, so our choices are limited).

Tony M said...

Thanks a lot, Christy! Now I keep playing "What I Am" by Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians on YouTube over & over...