Saturday, February 9, 2008

Fear of success

My title comes from something that my Mom used to say to me when I was a young adult. She would tell me that my brother Daniel and I were both afraid of succeeding and that's why we never tried new things. It made me angry when she said that, but that's usally a sign of hearing the truth, isn't it? So what things am I afraid of succeeding in? Well, one of them, I think, is interpreting for the Deaf. I've attempted more times than I can count to become fluent in American Sign Language, but every time I get to a certain point, I chicken out and stop. I don't know why it is or what it is exactly that I am afraid of, other than what my mom said - success! Do you find that as bizarre as I do - that someone would be afraid of success? Are you one of those people? If so, I'd like to know that I'm not alone.

3 comments:

Tony M said...

I think I'm afraid of failure, and that is why I don't try things. I like the known, the comfortable, things I know I can do. That's one reason I'm still working where I work instead of venturing off into the unknown and trying to find a new job (although I'm now at the point where my frustrations at work are pushing me to finally look elsewhere).

Ninfa might want to comment though; she's mentioned similar things in the past. For instance, she's a great storyteller... and I was absolutely loving her book. But she has yet to finish it. I think it would do very well; but she seems to be afraid to continue.

AmAnDa said...

I really don't have a comment for this post but wanted you to know that I have started doing my blogspot again now.

Pam said...

Christy, I too have had the dream of interpreting for the deaf and maybe that's where your name is familar to me. My problems are in the reception skills of signing. I've interpreted a couple of church services but that was simple compared to actually having a conversation with either of my teachers. Maybe breaking it down into compartments would help. Like concentrating on reading the sign language and then on communicating what you want to say?